LightsUP Drama Festival Series
The LightsUP Drama Festival Series is a schedule of 3 drama festivals to be held at Chatswood, Parramatta and Penrith.
The LightsUP Drama Festival Series provides the opportunity to showcase the skills and talents of NSW public school students and teachers from Kindergarten to Year 12 in creating and performing drama for an audience.
Each drama festival encourages and supports the development of drama programs at a school level by providing teachers with a valuable platform for engaging students in preparing drama for performance and also promoting the arts as a vital part of the school curriculum.
Students will benefit from the opportunity to work towards a quality performance in a professional venue and be enthused through interaction with other drama students.
2023 program for the LightsUP Drama Festival series
Dates and venues
LightsUP - Chatswood
- Monday 5 June to Wednesday 7 June 2023 (Term 2 Week 7)
- The Concourse Theatre, Chatswood
LightsUP - Penrith
- Thursday 22 June 2023 (Term 2 Week 9)
- Q Theatre, Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre, Penrith
LightsUP - Parramatta
- Tuesday 29 August 2023 (Term 3 Week 7)
- The Lennox Theatre, Riverside Theatres, Parramatta
How to apply
Applications for the LightsUP Drama Festival Series 2023 are now open!
Teachers, to apply:
- Please complete the LightsUP Drama Festival Series 2023 online application form.
- Applications close Thursday 18 May 2023 (Term 2 Week 4)
- Schools will be notified of application results on Wednesday 24 May 2023 (Term 2 Week 5)
Performance item details
- Maximum 30 students for primary and secondary groups
- Primary school items - up to 10 minutes duration (recommended 6– 8 minutes)
- Secondary school items - up to 12 minutes duration (recommended 8 – 10 minutes)
Schools applying to participate in the LightsUP Drama Festival series are required to submit an audition video. Auditions videos must be uploaded to YouTube or Google Drive and the video link included in the application form. When uploading your video link ensure you have the correct sharing settings to allow the panel to view.
Criteria for selection
All application audition items will be assessed by the Lightsup Drama Festival audition panel, based on the following criteria:
- Appropriate performance length
- Consideration of the elements of drama and reflection of current syllabus outcomes
- Demonstrated excellence in performance skills
- Entertainment value
- Use of minimal scenery and props
- Appeal and suitability to an audience that may include students from Kindergarten to Year 12
Audition video resource
Please use the resource below, developed by The Arts Unit, to support the preparation and filming of your audition video.
Audition video tips
- Film the whole group from a fixed camera angle, not individual performers. It is important that all students are able to be viewed in the film.
- It is recommended that schools use a tripod, particularly if panning to ensure a steady image
- Ensure that the video is of sufficiently high quality to allow the panel to view the details of your work and your performers
- If needed, cover any windows or doors in the room where the audition is being filmed, to avoid outside light interfering with the visual contrast in your video
- Ensure your audition video is within the time frame requirements outlined above
- $15.00 per student per festival entry
- Schools will be responsible for collecting participation fees from their students and automatically debited for their participation in the festival via SAP journal entry
The Concourse Theatre
409 Victoria Ave
Chatswood NSW 2067
Q Theatre, The Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre
597 High St
Penrith NSW 2750
The Lennox Theatre, Riverside Theatres
Corner Market St and Church St
Parramatta NSW 2150