Not Just a Brush
Not Just a Brush (NJAB) is a 2-year program for NSW public schools. The program includes teacher professional learning workshops and culminates in an art exhibition for Kindergarten to Year 6 students in a professional gallery at the end of the year.
The theme for 2022 is 'Pieces to masterpieces'.
The NJAB program provides teachers with skills they can take back to school and use in their classrooms with their students to create artworks over a period of time, incorporating a variety of forms and media.
Students then have the opportunity to exhibit their artworks in one of two professional gallery exhibitions.
This program aims to enhance the status and value of visual arts in schools and local communities. It enables students to develop skills in critiquing art and to see themselves and their peers as young artists.
Nominations are open for schools to participate in the Not Just A Brush Exhibition for 2022. Schools are required to complete the Not Just a Brush Participation Form by Friday 14 October 2022.
- Saturday 28 October to Tuesday 8 November 2022 - Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Arts Centre
Important dates and reminders for schools
- Friday 14 October 2022 - Artworks due to Jannali East Public School. Not Just a Brush participation form due.
- Monday 17 October 2022 - Schools notified of exhibition selection. Each school will have at least one artwork exhibited in the exhibition.
- Thursday 27 October 2022 - Exhibition bump in. Large artworks to be delivered directly to Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Arts Centre by 9:30 am. Please contact Katherine Horner prior to this date if this is relevant to you.
- Saturday 29 October 2022 - Exhibition begins. Gallery opening hours 10:00 am to 5:00 pm (7 days)
- Monday 31 October 2022 - Official opening of Not Just a Brush for 2022 at Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Arts Centre at 2:00 pm
- Wednesday 9 November 2022 - Exhibition concludes. Schools to collect artworks from Hazelhurst Gallery by 1:00 pm.
$120.00 excluding GST per school (not per artwork).
Resources to support exhibition participation
- Term 2 2023 - Campbelltown Arts Centre
- Term 2 2023 - Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Arts Centre
Go to MyPL and search course name Not Just a Brush.
This teacher PL will enable teachers to:
- update their knowledge and practice by working with their colleagues and professional artists.
- learn about the properties of various natural and man-made materials and ways in which they can alter the state of these to make marks on paper or create sculptures.
- view and discuss artworks and examine the forms and objects within, looking specifically at each artist's unique styles and creativity.
- develop their ability to use artworks as a starting point for supporting their students to create their own 2D and 3D art.
- use the knowledge acquired to build sequential visual arts lessons, which will assist their students to develop artworks sequentially and understand that an artwork may not necessarily be finished in one sitting.
The workshop makes a point of addressing the use of readily available and inexpensive, found and recycled materials, incorporating these into lesson planning. The delivery of feedback that encourages students to take risks in their creative application is embedded in lesson planning.
The operation of this program is contingent on advice provided by the NSW Department of Education in consultation with NSW Health. All activities will adhere to the DoE COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions.
Visit the COVID-19 and public schools in NSW web page for more information.
Jannali East Public School
500 Box Road
Jannali NSW 2226
Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Arts Centre
782 The Kingsway
Gymea NSW 2227
Campbelltown Arts Centre
1 Art Gallery Road
Campbeltown NSW 2560