Not Just a Brush
Not Just a Brush is a two year program for NSW public schools. The program includes teacher professional learning workshops and culminates in an art exhibition for Kindergarten to Year 6 students in a professional gallery at the end of 2021.
The theme for 2020-2021, 'Copycat or trailblazer', has evolved from a quote from artist Paul Gaugain who stated "In art one is either a plagiarist or a revolutionary".
The NJAB program provides teachers with skills they can take back to school and use in their classrooms with their students to create artworks over a period of time, incorporating a variety of forms and media.
Students then have the opportunity to exhibit their artworks in one of two professional gallery exhibitions.
This program aims to enhance the status and value of visual arts in schools and local communities, and enables students to develop skills in critiquing art and to see themselves and their peers as young artists.
Professional learning workshop dates:
- 3 June 2021 - Campbelltown Arts Centre
- 11 June 2021 - Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Arts Centre
- 4 December to 15 December 2021 - Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Arts Centre
Go to MyPL, course code NR30152.
This teacher PL will enable teachers to:
- update their knowledge and practice by working with their colleagues and professional artists.
- learn about the properties of various natural and man-made materials and ways in which they can alter the state of these to make marks on paper or create sculptures.
- view and discuss artworks and examine the forms and objects within, looking specifically at the unique styles and creativity of each of the artists.
- develop their ability to use artworks as a starting point for supporting their students to create their own 2D and 3D art.
- use the knowledge acquired to build sequential visual arts lessons which will assist their students to develop artworks in a sequential manner and understand that an artwork may not necessarily be finished in one sitting.
The workshop makes a point of addressing the use of readily available, and inexpensive, found and recycled materials, incorporating these into lesson planning. The delivery of feedback that encourages students to take risks in their creative application is embedded in lesson planning.
The operation of this program is contingent on advice provided by the NSW Department of Education in consultation with NSW Health. All activities will adhere to the DoE COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions.
Visit the COVID-19 and public schools in NSW web page for more information.
Campbelltown Arts Centre
1 Art Gallery Road
Campbelltown NSW 2560
Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Art Centre
782 The Kingsway
Gymea NSW 2227