Operation Art Exhibition
All schools in New South Wales are invited to submit artworks for exhibition in Operation Art, an initiative of The Children’s Hospital at Westmead in association with the New South Wales Department of Education.
The Operation Art program provides a forum for schools and students to demonstrate their visual arts achievements through exhibitions at the Armory Gallery, Sydney Olympic Park and the Art Gallery of New South Wales.
- Entries open: Tuesday 1 February (Term 1 Week 2)
- Entries close: Tuesday 31 May (Term 2 Week 6)
How to enter
Applications for Operation Art 2022 open Tuesday 1 February.
To apply for Operation Art 2022 complete the online application form via The Arts Unit Community.
- Quick guide – create student artwork forms for Operation Art (PDF, 144.57 KB)
- Step by step guide - How to apply for visual arts program 2022 (PDF, 181.19 KB)
We are using a new online portal, The Arts Unit Community to receive 2022 school applications. Adding 'The Arts Unit Community' tile in your 'Essentials - Inside the department', you can edit your forms and communicate with us.
As some exhibited works will eventually be hung at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead, we ask that special consideration be given to ensure that the artwork submitted is uplifting and does not contain material that could be considered culturally sensitive in nature.
Ivy Baddock, Art Curator, The Children's Hospital at Westmead
Why participate in Operation Art?
- All student artworks are framed and exhibited at Sydney Olympic Park from September.
- More than 10,000 visitors view the exhibition.
- At least 120 works are selected for further exhibition opportunities.
- The selected 50 works tour to regional galleries and given are to the Children's Hospital at Westmead.
- Students discover purpose in artmaking by creating art to help children in hospital.
- You can start your own gallery at school when the framed works are returned.
- All students are recognised with printed certificates, invitations and catalogues.
- Creative students can receive broader public recognition as star artists at the Sydney Olympic Park opening event.
How does the exhibition happen?
Find out about how the Operation Art Exhibition works.