State Drama Camp
Participants extend their skills through a series of intensive workshops with all major aspects of drama delivered by tutors from the performing arts industry. The emphasis at the camp is on active involvement, development of skills and enjoyment.
Workshops during the camp are led by industry specialists and exemplary teachers from NSW public schools. The camp is a residential camp with accommodation in cabins and full catering provided.
State Drama Camp – Year 11
Monday 29 April to Friday 3 May 2024
State Drama Camp will be held at StayKCC, Katoomba.
How to apply
- Submit your application using the link at the top of this page.
- Once you have submitted, an email will be sent to your teacher contact seeking an endorsement.
- Applications will close on Monday 4 March and students will be notified within two weeks.
- $580 for metro and non-metro students
- $435 for rural and remote students
All payments will be accepted online through our student payment portal.
- The program covers all major aspects of drama and includes devising in groups, workshop sessions led by exemplary teachers and specialists from the performing arts industry and professional performances.
- Working with an experienced tutor, students will develop an original group piece for performance at the end of camp.
- Workshop sessions offered may include set design, costume design, scriptwriting, individual performance, circus, physical theatre, devising, script Interpretation, advanced acting skills, voice and accents.
- Students will also experience a variety of performances, which may include professional acting troupes and exemplary HSC works from the year before.
- High potential Year 11 drama students who are currently studying drama at a NSW public school.
- A maximum of 6 students will be accepted from the same school. This is negotiated with teachers once applications have closed.
- This camp is for students seeking to build on their current experiences in drama and extend their skills through a series of intensive workshops.
State Drama Camp – Years 9 and 10
- Tuesday 30 April to Friday 3 May
The State Drama Camp - Years 9 and 10 is a 4-day residential camp open to NSW public school students in Years 9 and 10 and will run in conjunction with the NSW Public Schools State Drama Camp - Year 11.
This program is an excellent opportunity for Stage 5 drama students to extend their skills through working collaboratively in a supportive environment of like-minded peers and staff and learning from industry tutors and experienced teachers and practitioners.
For more information please go to State Drama Camp - Years 9 and 10.
State Drama Camp offers professional development opportunities for teachers.
Roles for teachers
- Camp tutor – supervise for the duration of the camp; lead specialised workshops; lead a camp group through the playbuilding process to a performance on the last evening.
- Residential mentorship program – for beginning or less experienced teachers where preference will be given to rural and remote applicants. Observe, participate and learn throughout the week under the guidance of an experienced mentor. Supervise and assist with camp duties – onsite for the duration of camp.
- Day mentee program – for teachers interested in State Drama Camp to observe and participate for one day (Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday) of the program. They will select workshops and sessions to attend to learn from experienced teachers in action as well as a Q&A on the devising processes and the HSC course. Schools must supply their own relief cover for this program.
Preference for the selection of tutors was given to teachers who are currently teaching the Drama Preliminary and HSC courses.
Applications for teachers for 2024 State Drama Camp are now open and will close on Friday 23 February 2024.
Please email email@example.com with any enquiries about State Drama Camp.