About the Show - Schools Spectacular 2023
Congratulations to all students, teachers, educators, parents, carers, families, staff, volunteers and school communities involved in the 2023 Schools Spectacular!!!! Every performance inside and outside Qudos Bank Arena at Schools Spectacular and SpecFest, along with the exhibitions, tours, activations and development programs, was an incredible celebration of 40 years!
You can find out more about what goes on behind the scenes through the links below.
Want to apply for next year? Applications open on 30 January 2024.
About Schools Spectacular
Since 1984, the Schools Spectacular has grown to become more than just a showcase highlighting the talents of the students of NSW Public Schools. It is an iconic cultural event incorporating students from diverse backgrounds and communities from the length and breadth of the state. The Schools Spectacular is a world-class arena production and one of the largest annual events of its calibre anywhere in Australia and arguably the world. From its ability to produce national and international stars to its role in promoting inclusiveness and reconciliation, the Schools Spectacular has no peer. In addition, in its 6th year, SpecFest offers the perfect preshow atmosphere to enrich the spectacular experience and is the ultimate outdoor entertainment hub with great food, activations, and chill-out zones for the whole family to enjoy.
In brief, the Schools Spectacular:
- took place annually at the Sydney Entertainment Centre (subsequently known as Qantas Credit Union Arena) since 1984;
- in 2016, it moved to Qudos Bank Arena and has been held there ever since;
- has a world record! 2016 was the biggest year yet! We set a new Guinness World Record for the Largest Amateur Variety Act, with over 5,300 students performing in the show!
- is an established and well-recognised event on the Sydney live entertainment calendar;
- showcases a cast that includes 2,300 dancers, a combined choir of 2,500, an 80-piece full symphony orchestra, and a 25-piece stage band;
- delivers outstanding, cutting-edge artistry in dance and musical performance;
- features state-of-the-art sound, lighting and staging; and
- is televised nationally in prime time.
The Schools Spectacular is a remarkable success story and is proudly presented by the NSW Department of Education.