Discover contemporary orchestral composition through 'Introduced Species' by Katy Abbott
In Lesson 1, your students will:
- listen and understand how the stimuli have influenced the role of the composer, conductor and performers/instruments in taking a piece of music from its stimulus to performance
- analyse the context of 'Introduced Species' through the narrative of sound, exploring concepts of home, place, connection and human nature
- reflect on their responses.
In Lesson 2, your students will:
- listen to each of the themes in 'Introduces Species'
- analyse each of the themes and describe how the composer used the concepts of music to achieve the appropriate effects
- reflect on 'Introduced Species' and how it represents their chosen topic of study.
In Lesson 3, your students will:
- reflect on their observations of 'Introduced Species' and responses to Lesson 1 (Interviews) and Lesson 2 (Themes)
- plan their own composition
- compose themes and structure a work
- record and edit their own work where needed.