In Concert – Secondary Choral Festival
Students have the opportunity to perform a range of significant choral works in a dazzling choral and instrumental music showcase. Teachers engage in quality professional learning delivered by experts.
The In Concert - Secondary Choral Festival sees the Combined Secondary Schools Choir annually joining forces with The Arts Unit's premier instrumental music ensembles to present 2 performances at the Sydney Town Hall. These concerts provide secondary students with the opportunity to sing in a massed choir with more than 500 other students and perform a range of significant choral works.
- New performance date: Monday 29 August 2022 (1 performance only)
- New venue: Concert Hall, Sydney Opera House
- Teachers online professional learning – 14 February 4:30 pm (Term 1 Week 4)
- Sydney Metro rehearsal dates: Term 2 - Tuesday 10 May and Term 3 (date TBC)
Please be aware that this Festival will be contingent on advice provided by the Department of Education in consultation with NSW Health, and can change at short notice.
Department of Education latest information on COVID-19 advice.
Applications for the In Concert – Secondary Choral Festival 2022 are now open.
To apply for In Concert 2022 complete the online application form via The Arts Unit Community.
- Support guide - applying for In Concert 2022 (PDF, 184.05 KB)
- Principal approval for school application guide (PDF, 203.24 KB)
We are using a new online portal, The Arts Unit Community to receive 2022 school applications. Adding 'The Arts Unit Community' tile in your 'Essentials - Inside the department', you can edit your forms and communicate with us.
The NSW Department of Education will present 1 concert in the Concert Hall at the Sydney Opera House. School choirs made up of students from Stages 4 to 6 will form part of a combined choir of 500 voices for each concert. All choirs and / or music classes from public high schools are welcome to join.
The 2022 repertoire will include a variety of genres and includes compositions by Australian musicians. Repertoire can be linked to curriculum topics for Stages 4 to 6.
In Concert 2022 performance date at the Sydney Opera House
- Monday 29 August 2022 at 7:00pm
Preliminary rehearsals at the Salvation Army Congress Hall - mandatory (metropolitan schools only). Monday performance schools will be allocated to the Monday preliminary rehearsals and Tuesday performance schools will be allocated to the Tuesday preliminary rehearsals but schools may request to attend the alternate rehearsal day by emailing Elizabeth Scott, Music Performance Projects Officer, at The Arts Unit.
- Term 2 - Tuesday 10 May 2022, 9:30 am to 3:00 pm and
- Term 3 - date TBC
Cluster rehearsals - mandatory (non-metropolitan schools only). Local cluster rehearsals will be arranged in late Term 1 or early Term 2 for non-metropolitan schools. Dates will be negotiated with Elizabeth Scott early in 2022.
- Participation fee of $37.00 per student will be payable in March.
- A rural and remote subsidy of 25% will be offered to all students attending from rural and remote schools as identified by the department.
- In the event of a COVID-19 related withdrawal from the festival performance, schools will be refunded 50% of the participation fee paid.
Professional learning and resources
- At least one teacher from each participating school must attend the In Concert - teachers’ professional development webinar which will be presented on Monday 14 February 2022 from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
- All public school teachers are welcome to attend this webinar. Please register by Friday 11 February 2022 to receive access to the In Concert repertoire and a range of online resources.
- Teachers will be provided with digital copies of the repertoire which they will need to print for their students.
For further information concerning the In Concert – Secondary Choral Festival 2022, please contact Elizabeth Scott, Music Performance Projects Officer, at The Arts Unit - email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Related digital resources
Related local arts programs
Arts Alive Combined Secondary Choir
This program allows individual vocalists to come together to form a choir for workshops and a performance at the Sydney Town Hall.