NSW Public Schools Multicultural Playwright Program
This program supports secondary students from refugee backgrounds and students who are culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD). Led by industry professionals, this program engages students in activities that develop language skills within the context of writing for theatre, and culminates in a performance that is live streamed to the student’s home countries.
Applications open Monday 4 March
About the program
This highly engaging performance program is intended for students who are culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) and students with a refugee background. Participating students must be in Years 7 to 12 and attend a NSW public school. The Multicultural Playwright Program is a 3-day workshop program that provides multicultural and refugee students and their teachers a scriptwriting and performance experience, culminating in a showcase performance that is live streamed back to the student’s home countries.
- The program will commence with a 1 day Devising for Secondary Teachers professional learning workshop.
- Following this workshop, teachers will have the opportunity to have a theatre practitioner mentor come along to their school to work with their students for 1 x 2hr workshop to assist with the preparation and devising of their performances.
- These performances form the basis of the piece to be developed throughout the 3 day workshop.
- The final showcase of the student work is then performed and live streamed to home countries.
- The 3-day workshop fee is $90.00 per participating student.
- There is no fee for the teacher professional learning session for 1 teacher per school who have students participating in the 3 day program.
- A fee of $150 for additional teachers attending the professional learning.
Applications close Friday 3 May
Devising for Secondary Teachers professional learning
Date: Term 2 Week 4
Tuesday 21 May 2024
Time: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Venue: Bankstown Arts Centre - Studio 1
Term 2 Weeks 5, 6, 7 or 8
Monday – Friday (flexible for attending schools)
Student 3 day workshops
Date: Term 2 Week 9
Tuesday 18 to Thursday 20 June 2023
Time: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Venue: Bankstown Arts Centre – Theatre
Term 2 Week 9
Multicultural Playwright Program 2022 - promo
The Multicultural Playwright Program is a three-day event which is designed to give multicultural/refugee students and their teachers a scriptwriting and performance experience. On the third day the students will, after working with the tutors and their teachers, put on a showcase performance providing them with the platform to share their stories.
Related digital resources
Multicultural Perspectives Public Speaking Competition
The Multicultural Perspectives Public Speaking Competition encourages primary school students to explore ideas of multiculturalism in Australia, as well as giving them a place to practice their public speaking skills and improve their confidence.