Secondary Aboriginal Dance Workshops
Tutors from Bangarra Dance Theatre work with students to develop cultural awareness and explore contemporary Aboriginal dance skills in an engaging one day workshop.
2022 applications for this program have now closed.
About the program
This online program is an exciting collaboration between the internationally renowned Bangarra Dance Theatre and the NSW Department of Education Arts Unit. In this program, tutors from Bangarra work with schools to learn and perform a contemporary Indigenous dance repertoire.
This engaging and high energy dance program is open to students from Years 7 to 12 of Indigenous and non-Indigenous backgrounds. Students who display exceptional talent and potential in contemporary and traditional Aboriginal dance, will be considered eligible for selection for the 2022 NSW Public Schools Aboriginal Dance Company.
The 2022 program will begin with an online teacher’s information briefing that all participating teachers are expected to attend. Students will then participate in 4.5 hours of workshops, over 3 online sessions during Term 1 Weeks 6, 7 and 9. Bangarra will provide students and teachers with resources to develop a contemporary indigenous repertoire. There will also be opportunities for schools to incorporate their local cultural dance styles and stories in consultation with their elders and community.
- Online Secondary Aboriginal Dance Workshop 2022 - Information Package (DOCX, 2 MB)
- Teacher information briefing - Wednesday 23 February.
- 3 x 1.5 hour zoom workshops for up to 20 students per school.
- $300 per school.
Teacher information briefing
- Wednesday 23 February, 4-5pm (Term 1 Week 5) - a Zoom link to be sent to participating schools on acceptance.
- The teacher information briefing is for participating teachers and support staff. The session will include protocols to assist with cultural dance delivery, the connection to culture and the repertoire’s connection to stories and to the land.
- Student workshop 1 (1hr 30min) - Term 1 Week 6: Monday 28 February - Friday 4 March
- Student workshop 2 (1hr 30min) - Term 1 Week 7: Monday 7 March - Friday 11 March
- Student workshop 3 / Showcase (1hr 30min) - Term 1 Week 9: Monday 21 March - Friday 25 March
- Schools must be available to attend all three nominated workshop sessions.
- There are 2 workshop time slots available per day: 9:15am - 10:45am and 11:15am - 12:45pm.
- When completing the application, schools can nominate their preferred session day and time slot. Schools must attend the same session and time slot each week, for the 3 workshops.
Secondary Aboriginal Dance Workshop Promo
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students from NSW public schools are invited to participate in a one day workshop run by the Department of Education in collaboration with the internationally renowned Bangarra Dance Theatre.
This workshop aims to foster the development of dance skills and cultural significance for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, boys and girls from school Years 7 - 12. This workshop is suitable for both experienced and inexperienced dancers. During this workshop, students will learn contemporary indigenous dance repertoire from some of Bangarra's leading choreographers.