External spelling resources, games and podcasts.
These links are provided with the intention of increasing the information available to you. The NSW Department of Education has no control over linked websites and is not responsible for the views, opinions, standards or information expressed on linked websites. The provision of a link does not imply that the NSW Department of Education endorses those websites or the people or companies who own them, and vice versa.
- ABC Education Spelling resources. From short, interactive games to fascinating articles and podcasts on all things spelling.
- ABC Spell Block Academy. Especially for younger children, kindergarten to year 3. Game and quizzes you can tailor to suit a particular stage or curriculum area.
- Arkadium Australia. Free online puzzles and word games, spelling and literacy-focused.
- Games Games. From simple to complex, games and puzzles from a UK website. Broad curriculum areas including many spelling games.
- Macquarie Dictionary podcasts for children. Our official wordlist supplier, the site has many articles and podcasts exploring language. Engaging information for the serious student of linguistics.
- Ozspeller. Gradeable oral spelling games, years 1 to 8.
- Premier's Sporting Challenge Spelling Fitness Circuit. From the thinking, while moving series, this is a short video demonstration of an active spelling game. There are further links to literacy-based physical games on the PSC pages.
- Spelfabet free games. Good selection of educational games, including entries from ABC and BBC. Useful games and links - especially to BBC UK sites.
- Spell words well. Some great free games, gradeable and printable worksheets. The site can be student-driven and has useful information for parents and teachers.
These 10 spelling tips from Susan Butler, previous editor of the Macquarie Dictionary, will help teachers, contestants and their parents with some trickier spelling aspects. Macquarie Dictionary is the official word list supplier for the Premier's Spelling Bee.
- Ambiguous vowel
- Double letters
- Elided syllables
- The indeterminate vowel sound
- Other languages
- Silent letters
- Spelling rules
- Words ending in 'e.'
Visit School A-Z for a free online spelling bee game. School A to Z is a free website with articles, videos and fact sheets on homework, child wellbeing and technology designed to help parents of school-aged children.