Surround Sound is a band program for students from secondary schools in rural and remote areas. Bands must have between 3 and 16 members and may perform covers or originals in any contemporary music style.
All performers must be students enrolled at a NSW public school in Years 7 to 12. No teachers or tutors can perform as part of the band.
- Applications will be held by video submission.
- Selected schools will receive a school-based workshop delivered by an industry mentor during Term 3
- Bands and their teacher will be supported to travel and be accommodated in Sydney during Term 4 Week 7 at the Surround Sound camp where all bands come together to workshop their performances with mentors .
- Each band will perform a 15-minute set twice at SpecFest outside of Schools Spectacular in Term 4 Week 7.
Applications will open on Monday 5 February 2024 and close on Friday 31 May 2024
How to apply
- Prepare your video submission and upload it to an online platform, such as YouTube, Vimeo or Google Docs link.
- Ensure the settings on your URL are set to allow the panel to view it.
- Have each student complete and return a Surround Sound 2024 permission to publish form.
- Complete your Surround Sound 2024 application form with the following information:
- name of band/ensemble
- a short band biography
- name of audition piece (please also indicate if it is a cover or an original song).
- Bands are required to submit one song of up to 5 minutes.
- The song can be a cover or an original.
- The video should be filmed as one continuous live take from a single static camera with no camera movement (including zoom, pan or tilt) with live audio from the room taken into the camera.
- A video taken with a smartphone or tablet, using the sound from the internal microphone of that device will be sufficient.
- The quality of video and audio recordings will not be considered as part of the judging criteria.
- Video filmed at a school or community event may be used as the round 1 submission if it meets the above requirements.
In selection, workshop and performances, bands will be assessed on:
- ensemble skills
- technical proficiency
- performance skills.