Aboriginal Dance Company
The Aboriginal Dance Company provides opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to excel in contemporary Indigenous dance. This initiative is a collaboration with the world-renowned Australian dance company Bangarra Dance Theatre, enabling students to work with leading dancers and choreographers to recreate works from Bangarra Dance Theatre's repertoire.
About the NSW Public Schools Aboriginal Dance Company
The Aboriginal Dance Company is an audition-based dance ensemble for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students who excel in contemporary Indigenous dance. The Company is a partnership between the NSW Department of Education Arts Unit and Bangarra Dance Theatre.
In previous years, the Company has performed at state dance festivals, in the Schools Spectacular and at a number of other high-profile events. Students selected for the Company will experience new and exciting opportunities to perform in 2024.
Please read the 2024 information package before considering your application.Information package 2024 – Aboriginal Dance Company (DOCX 7.03 MB)
Applications for the 2024 Company are now open!
Applications will close Friday 12 April.
Students will need to learn the set repertoire using the video below, film themselves performing it and complete the steps below.
To apply, students must complete this online application form and upload the following 3 components:
- A video recording. Students record themselves performing the set repertoire. This should be shot in landscape with the student applying performing and visible from head to toe. Groups are not encouraged as students are hard to identify. Multiple applications from schools are accepted.
- A filmed 1 minute Viva Voce (short speech) introducing themselves, their school, their mob, their dance experience, why they would like to be part of the Aboriginal Dance Company and what they hope to do in the future.
- A headshot photograph.
Application endorsement form
All applications must download and complete the following application endorsement form to provide parent / guardian permission, as well as, a teacher reference and principal endorsement.
The completed form should be uploaded in the audition elements sections of this online application to be considered. If you are unable to upload the complete application endorsement form at the time of submission please email it as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Audition support resources
- Uploading a video to YouTube - Aboriginal Dance Company (DOCX 1.22 MB)
- Audition tips for dance
- Tips for dance auditions
What happens next
The audition panel will review the applications after the closing date. Parents and students will be emailed about the outcome of the audition by Term 2, Week 5, Monday May 27.
- Term 3, Week 7 – Monday 2 September to Friday 6 September at Bangarra Dance Theatre Studios, Dawes Point
- Term 3, Week 9 – Monday 16 September to Thursday 19 September at Sydney Dance Company Studios, Dawes Point
- Term 4, Week 4 – Monday 4 November to Friday 8 November at Bangarra Dance Theatre Studios, Dawes Point
- Term 4, Week 7 – Monday 25 November to Wednesday 27 November at Fairfield RSL, Fairfield
- Term 4, Week 7 – Wednesday 27 November to Thursday 28 November at Qudos Bank Arena
- State Dance Festival at Seymour Centre, Chippendale – Friday 20 September
- Schools Spectacular at Qudos Bank Arena – Friday 29 November and Saturday 30 November
- with the potential for additional opportunities throughout the year as they arise
- Applications open Friday 9 February
- Applications close Friday 12 April
"Having been a part of the Aboriginal Dance Company for 3 years now, I have gained so much experience and knowledge about the contemporary style of dance Bangarra uses. It has also given me the opportunity to learn more about my culture and make lifelong friendships with other young Aboriginal people." Monique, Year 10 Campbelltown Performing Arts High School.