Dance professional learning for teachers of students with disability
A 2-day accredited professional learning course aimed at developing skills in teaching dance and inclusively engaging students with additional learning needs. The program is open to teachers from both NSW public and non-government schools.
Sessions are facilitated by industry professionals and Department of Education teachers with specialised skills.
About the program
This accredited 2-day workshop is an excellent opportunity to develop high-level skills in making dance works, engaging in music practices and exploring dramatic contexts for students with disabilities. Participants will gain practical insight, knowledge and skills applicable to a wide range of disabilities. Participants will be equipped with teaching strategies to take back to the classroom.
This workshop is suitable for teachers and support staff who have one or multiple students with disability and is open to teachers from both government and non-government schools.
Sessions are facilitated by industry professionals and Department of Education teachers with specialised skills. Sessions will focus on:
- engaging students through movement, music and drama
- creating choreography for students
- using ICT to engage students with disabilities
- using non-verbal communication focusing on empowering and teaching students through performance, movement and gesture
- playbuilding and characterisation.
Dates, times and locations
Applications for the 2023 workshops closed on Thursday 8 June 2023.
The 2024 disability dance teacher workshop dates will be announced in Term 4 2023.
- $200.00 per participating NSW public school teachers for the two-day workshop.
- $500.00 per participating NSW non-government school teachers for the two-day workshop.
How to apply
- Submit an online application.
- Register for this course on MyPL. The course ID is D’arts inclusive dance workshop for teachers (AC00415).
- Make payment through The Arts Unit Website payment portal. Here is a step-by-step guide for making an online payment: 2023 payment portal guide (DOCX 769.64 KB)
Please note that your place in the workshop will not be confirmed until all three steps in the application process are complete.
Registered professional learning hours
Completing the D’arts inclusive dance workshop for teachers will contribute 7.5 hours of accredited Professional Learning addressing standards 1.5.2, 1.6.2, 4.1.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation.