NSW Public Schools State Drama Camp
Participants extend their skills through a series of intensive workshops with all major aspects of drama delivered by tutors from the performing arts industry. The emphasis at the camp is on active involvement, development of skills and enjoyment.
Workshops during the camp are led by industry specialists and exemplary teachers from NSW public schools. The camp is fully catered with a healthy menu and accommodation is in modern heated carpeted cabins and rooms at Vision Valley.
- Sunday 25 June to Thursday 29 June (Term 2 Week 10)
How to apply
Applications will open in 2023
- $580 – metro and non-metro students
- $435 – rural and remote students
All payments will be accepted online through our student payment portal.
- The program covers all major aspects of drama and includes workshop sessions led by exemplary teachers and specialists from the performing arts industry.
- Workshops sessions offered include set design, costume design, scriptwriting, individual performance, circus, physical theatre, devising, script Interpretation, advanced acting skills, voice and accents.
- Active involvement, development of skills and enjoyment are key outcomes of participation at camp.
- Zeal Theatre Australia performs at State Drama Camp.
- Exemplary OnSTAGE students perform at State Drama Camp.
- Students will attend the professional theatrical production.
- High potential Year 11 drama students who are currently studying drama at a NSW public school, who have not attended a State Drama Camp previously and need to extend their skills through a series of intensive workshops.
- There is a limit of 6 students from each school.
- This camp is for students seeking to build on their current experiences in drama to enhance their skills and knowledge.
State Drama Camp offers professional development opportunities for teachers.
Roles for teachers:
- Camp tutor – Supervise for the duration of the camp; lead specialised workshops; lead a camp group through the playbuilding process to a performance on the last evening.
- Residential mentorship program – For beginning or less experienced teachers where preference will be given for rural and remote applicants. Observe, participate and learn throughout the week under the guidance of an experienced mentor. Supervise and assist with camp duties – onsite for the duration of camp.
- Day mentee program – For teachers interested in State Drama Camp to observe and participate for one day (Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday) of the program. They will select workshops and sessions to attend to learn from experienced teachers in action as well as a Q&A on the devising processes and the HSC course. Schools must supply their own relief cover for this program.
Preference for selection of tutors was given to teachers who are currently teaching the Drama Preliminary and HSC courses.
Applications for teachers for teachers for 2023 State Drama Camp will open in Term 1 2023.
State Drama Camp promo
Related digital resources
Related local arts programs
Riverina Weeping Candle Theatresports Cup
SCLC Creative Arts Camp
Contemporary theatre workshops for secondary students providing an opportunity for them to engage in a diversity of performance techniques and conventions beyond the classroom.