Operation Art Student Workshops
Students spend a whole day making, creating and learning new visual arts skills. Workshops cover a variety of different topic areas, including drawing, painting, printing, mixed media and sculpture.
Delivered by specialist visual arts teachers, these full-day workshops are designed to extend participants' skills and artmaking experiences beyond the classroom. Students who display a higher level of engagement in visual arts will benefit from these challenging opportunities.
Enquire about Operation Art student workshops by contacting Heidi Windeisen.
All booking links will be made available below when the locations are open.
Please be sure to register as a contact teacher before advertising the workshops to your students.
Wollongong Art Gallery
6 Burelli Street, Wollongong NSW 2500
- Stage 1 (Year 1-2) Wednesday 11 May – Now closed
- Stage 2 (Year 3-4) Thursday 12 May – Now closed
- Stage 3 (Year 5-6) Friday 13 May – Now closed
- Stage 4 (Year 7-8) Wednesday 18 May – Now closed
Maitland regional Art Gallery
230 High Street, Maitland NSW 2320
- Stage 1 (Year 1-2) Monday 27 June - Now closed
- Stage 2 (Year 3-4) Tuesday 28 June - Now closed
- Stage 3 (Year 5-6) Wednesday 29 June - Now closed
- Stage 4 (Year 7-8) Thursday 30 June - Now closed
Hurstville Museum and Gallery
14 Macmahon St, Hurstville NSW 2220
- Stage 1 (Year 1-2) Monday 29 August - Closed, workshop full
- Stage 2 (Year 3-4) Tuesday 30 August - Open
- Stage 3 (Year 5-6) Wednesday 31 August - Closed, workshop full
- Stage 4 (Year 7-8) Thursday 1 September - Cancelled
SOPA The Armory Gallery
Sydney Olympic Park NSW 2127
- Stage 1 Tuesday 18 October 2022 - Open
- Stage 2 Tuesday 19 October 2022 - Open
- Stage 3 Tuesday 20 October 2022 - Open
Tamworth Regional Gallery
466 Peel St, Tamworth NSW 2340
- Stage 1 (Year 1-2) Monday 7 November
- Stage 2 (Year 3-4) Tuesday 8 November
- Stage 3 (Year 5-6) Wednesday 9 November
Booking link available soon.
This year, Operation Art and The Armory Gallery are very excited to once again offer virtual artmaking lessons to class groups of students in Years 1 to 6 in NSW public schools.
Students will be taken on a virtual excursion as they enter The Armory Gallery through the eyes of the camera to view the 2022 Operation Art Exhibition, and then participate in an interactive artmaking lesson.
Session dates: Available soon
Session costs: $220 per participating class group
Teachers: Book virtual workshop
This virtual excursion will address the following visual arts outcomes for each relevant stage:
Stage 1 outcomes
- VAS1.1 – Makes artworks in a particular way about experiences of real and imaginary things.
- VAES1.2 – Experiments with a range of media in selected forms.
- VAS1.3 – Realises what artists do, who they are and what they make.
Stage 2 outcomes
- VAS2.2 – Uses the forms to suggest the qualities of subject matter.
- VAS2.4 – Identifies connections between subject matter in artworks and what they refer to, and appreciates the use of particular techniques.
Stage 3 outcomes
- VAS3.1 – Investigates subject matter in an attempt to represent likenesses of things in the world.
- VAS3.2 – Makes artworks for different audiences assembling materials in a variety of ways.
- VAS3.4 – Communicates about the ways in which subject matter is represented in artworks.
Related digital resources
Related local arts programs
Transitions - Small Schools Creative Arts Camp
New Horizons Art Exhibition
The New Horizons Art Exhibition is a collaboration between NSW schools and Shoalhaven Regional Gallery Nowra providing the opportunity for selected works from schools to be showcased in the gallery.