Operation Art is an initiative of The Children’s Hospital at Westmead in association with the New South Wales Department of Education. The program includes exhibitions, workshops and professional learning opportunities in visual arts for teachers and students from all schools in NSW.
Operation Art exhibits the achievements of visual arts students at Sydney Olympic Park, the Art Gallery of NSW and regional galleries. Operation Art also holds student and teacher professional learning workshops across the state.
2023 entry details
2023 entries open in February and close on Wednesday 31 May 2023.
The 2023 Operation Art Exhibition will be on display at Sydney Olympic Park Armory Gallery from Saturday 16 September to Sunday 29 October 2023. All entries submitted this year will be on display.
- Each school can enter up to 4 artworks.
- Each artwork can be created by an individual student or be a collaboration by up to 4 students in Kindergarten to Year 10.
How to enter
- Download a copy of the artwork release form and have the parent/guardian of the student fill in and return to the school to post in with each artwork.
- Complete and submit the online entry form for each artwork and all students who created it. Please note, if more than 2 collaborative artworks are being entered please submit a separate online form for the third or fourth collaborative artwork.
- Label the back of each artwork with the name of the student and your school. Please use a pencil so that the artwork isn't damaged. Up to A2 sized works are accepted and up to 5mm deep.
- Post the artwork release form, paper clipped to the back of each artwork to Operation Art - The Arts Unit, Corner Toothill St and The Boulevarde, Lewisham 2049.
- Government schools are charged $95 for each artwork entry and this will be directly debited to your school.
- Non-Government schools will be charged $135 per artwork entry and payment must be made via the payment portal.
As some exhibited works will eventually be hung at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead, we ask that special consideration be given to ensure that the artwork submitted is uplifting and does not contain material that could be considered culturally sensitive in nature.
Ivy Baddock, Art Curator, The Children's Hospital at Westmead
Why participate in Operation Art?
- All student artworks are framed and exhibited at Sydney Olympic Park from September.
- More than 10,000 visitors view the exhibition.
- At least 120 works are selected for further exhibition opportunities.
- The selected 50 works tour to regional galleries and given are to the Children's Hospital at Westmead.
- Students discover purpose in artmaking by creating art to help children in hospital.
- You can start your own gallery at school when the framed works are returned.
- All students are recognised with printed certificates, invitations and catalogues.
- Creative students can receive broader public recognition as star artists at the Sydney Olympic Park opening event.
Related digital resources
Related local arts programs
Nepean Festival of Arts and Design
The Nepean Festival of Art and Design is a celebration of the works of artists, designers and students from across the Penrith LGA coming together to exhibit works on the Friday 10 November 2023 at the Nepean Creative and Performing Arts High School.