State Wind Bands
The State Wind Band provides an opportunity for talented music students in NSW public schools to perform in a state ensemble under the direction of professional conductors. The band will perform repertoire chosen to challenge and extend students' musical skills.
- Senior Wind Band for students in Years 9 to Year 12
- Junior Wind Band for students in Years 5 to Year 8
About the program
Students who play piccolo, flute, oboe, bassoon, clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, french horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, tuba, double bass and percussion are eligible to apply.
Students will experience an intensive rehearsal schedule working with professional conductors and tutors in large ensemble and small sectional sessions to prepare for the performances. Music will be sent to students to prepare prior to the rehearsals. Music will be chosen to challenge the student’s technique and musicality. Approximately 65 students from across New South Wales will be selected for each ensemble.
- For Senior Wind Band, a minimum of Grade 5 or equivalent is required.
- For Junior Wind Band, a minimum of Grade 3 or equivalent is required.
The State Wind Band participates in the following The Arts Unit festivals as performance opportunities.
- The Festival of Instrumental Music presents three concerts pf diverse repertoire in the Concert Hall of the Sydney Opera House.
- In Concert is a festival which presents premier choral and instrumental music ensembles in performance which provide students with the opportunity to perform a range of significant works.
In 2022 the opportunity for teacher professional learning is also available.
How to apply
Students can now apply via the 2022 online application form.
In 2022, all students will be required to complete and submit a student endorsement form signed by a parent, teacher and principal as part of their application.
Applications will close Monday 10 June 2022.
- Senior State Wind Band – 27 August to 30 August (Term 3 Week 7)
- Junior State Wind Band – 29 August to 1 September (Term 3 Week 7)
2022 rehearsal dates
Senior Wind Band
- Tuesday 9 August 2022 zoom rehearsal 5 pm - 6 pm
- Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 August 2022 at The Arts Unit for rehearsals 9 am - 5 pm
- Monday 29 August and Tuesday 30 August 2022 at The Opera House 9 am - 11 am rehearsal
Junior Wind Band
- Monday 8 August 2022 zoom rehearsal 5 pm - 6 pm
- Monday 29 and Tuesday 30 August 2022 at The Arts Unit 9 am - 4 pm
- Wednesday 31 August and Thursday 1 September 2022 at The Opera House 9 am - 11 am rehearsal
2022 performance dates
- Senior Wind Band at the Opera House Concert Hall will be on Monday 29 August (In Concert) and Tuesday 30 August 2022 (Instrumental Festival Banksia Concert). Performance commences 7 pm.
- Junior Wind Band at the Opera House Concert Hall will be on Wednesday 31 August (Instrumental Festival Jacaranda Concert) and Thursday 1 September 2022 (Instrumental Festival Mimosa Concert). Performance commences 7 pm.
Once an applicant is accepted, participation in all sessions is mandatory and no variation to this schedule is possible. Please be sure that you can commit to the full program before submitting an application.
- Sydney metropolitan student participation fee - $110 (incl GST)
- Students from rural & remote schools- $85.50 (incl GST)
Travel and accommodation
Students are expected to organise their own accommodation, as well as travel to and from all rehearsals and performances.
Students will be supervised by DoE teachers during rehearsals and performances.
The State Wind Bands provide the opportunity for teachers to join the program in the capacity of a band staff member or conductor.
For further information or to apply visit the teacher professional learning expression of interest form.