Festival of Choral Music
The Festival of Choral Music (FoCM) brings students from across NSW to perform selected repertoire in combined mass choirs guided by specialist choral teachers.
Together with outstanding instrumental and vocal items from across NSW, the festival provides the opportunity for schools to access and perform repertoire curated for students and valuable teacher professional learning opportunities.
- Performance dates – Monday 12 to Friday 16 August (Term 3 Week 4)
- Teachers professional development workshop – 16 February 9:00 am–3:00 pm (Term 1 Week 3)
- Rehearsals at Salvation Army Congress Hall – 29 July to 2 August (Term 3 Week 2)
- Repertoire for 2024 coming soon. Please view the related digital resources below for repertoire from previous years.
2024 concert dates at the Sydney Opera House
- Argyle concert: Monday 12 August 2024, 6:30 pm
- Australis concert: Tuesday 13 August 2024, 6:30 pm
- Barangaroo concert: Wednesday 14 August 2024, 6:30 pm
- Bennelong concert: Thursday 15 August 2024, 6:30 pm
- Endeavour concert: Friday 16 August 2024, 6:30 pm
The NSW Department of Education will present 5 concerts in the Concert Hall of the Sydney Opera House. School choirs made up of students from Stage 2 and/or 3 that are capable of singing in 2 parts will form part of a combined choir of 700 voices for each concert.
How to apply
Please complete the Festival of Choral Music online application form.
Please note the 2024 Festival of Choral Music requires an audition video for your selection in the festival.
- A maximum of 30 students per school will be considered, although this number may be capped/reduced depending on how many schools apply.
- If you wish to nominate more than 30 students from your school, you will be able to indicate this on the application form.
Applications close Friday 8 December 2023
Preliminary rehearsals at the Salvation Army Congress Hall - mandatory (metropolitan schools only)
- Argyle rehearsal: Monday 29 July 2024, 9:30 am to 1:00 pm
- Australis rehearsal: Tuesday 30 July 2024, 9:30 am to 1:00 pm
- Barangaroo rehearsal: Wednesday 31 July 2024, 9:30 am to 1:00 pm
- Bennelong rehearsal: Thursday 1 August 2024, 9:30 am to 1:00 pm
- Endeavour rehearsal: Friday 2 August 2024, 9:30 am to 1:00 pm
Cluster rehearsals (non-metropolitan schools only)
- Non-metropolitan schools must host or attend a 4-hour cluster rehearsal with other nearby participating schools during Term 2 or 3 or as negotiated with Ian Jefferson.
- Participation fee of $40.00 per student will be payable upon acceptance into the program.
- A rural and remote subsidy of 25% will be offered to all students attending from rural and remote schools as identified by the Department.
Professional learning and resources
- At least one teacher from each participating school should attend the Festival of Choral Music - teachers’ professional development workshop on Friday 16 February 2024, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- All teachers from all public schools – regardless of their involvement in the festival - are welcome to attend this workshop. Please register by Friday 2 February 2024 to receive your complimentary copy of the 2024 Festival of Choral Music repertoire.
- A range of online repertoire resources will become available at the beginning of the year.
- Each participating student will receive a 2024 Festival of Choral Music repertoire book.
- Extra copies of the repertoire book can be ordered for non-participating students/schools at $20 per book. Teacher copies are complimentary.
- Each participating student and teacher will receive a specially designed T-shirt to wear at the performance.
Instrumental and vocal items
In 2024 performance opportunities are available for outstanding instrumental and vocal items at the Festival of Instrumental Music, Festival of Choral Music, and Primary Proms. These opportunities are open to all public school students and can include music ensembles of all sizes, large or small – including soloists and choirs. To find out more and to apply, visit the Instrumental and vocal items page. Applications to be considered for a performance at the Festival of Instrumental Music, Festival of Choral Music, and Primary Proms must be submitted by Friday 10 May 2024.
For further information concerning the 2024 Festival of Choral Music please contact Ian Jefferson, Student Music Programs Officer (K-8) at The Arts Unit – email: Ian.Jefferson@det.nsw.edu.au or firstname.lastname@example.org