Film @ The Arts Unit
Film @ The Arts Unit supports teachers and students to engage in the art of filmmaking. Live and online festivals, showcases, events, and awards celebrate and share students' achievements. Resources to support filmmaking and opportunities are offered throughout the year.
CApture Film Festival 2023
Expressions of interest are open for the inaugural CApture Film Festival to be held in November 2023. Submitted films from Stage 5 students must be between 3 and 5 minutes in duration, include the signature item ‘window’ and adhere to the guidelines of a G or PG-rated film. Films can be submitted by individual students or by a small group of students.
The festival is a showcase supported by the NSW Department of Education’s CApture filmmaking resource, which focuses on developing skills, knowledge and understanding of filmmaking for Stage 5 students across dance, drama, music, photography and digital media and visual design.
The Arts Unit will host the inaugural CApture student film festival in Term 4 2023, with $30,000 worth of prizes to be won! NSW Department of Education schools can register interest in the festival today!
A supporting CApture teacher guide will also be available soon.
The final submission date for films is Friday 13 October 2023.
The film festival will be held in November 2023.
Film by... celebrates student achievement in visual literacy and showcases the talents of our students across the state. Film By festivals are renowned for thier excellence by both students and teachers.
Film by... aims to:
- Support schools in establishing film communities and festivals to celebrate learning through positive engagement and collaborative practice.
- Build knowledge and skills in 6 key literacies: multimodal, critical, digital, media, visual and information literacies.
- Provide relevant and practical teacher professional learning in the embedding of filmmaking into current curriculum programs.
- Develop Special Projects with student film crews to create films for specific purposes, like Jack and Tom for Anzac Day or Just Say Something for White Ribbon.
- Support rural and remote schools in creating films and festivals and provide training for students in filmmaking through camps, workshops and educational experiences.
- Find new and innovative ways to use film to support learning.
- Recognise and promote student and teacher creativity.
CApture Film Festival
Related digital resources
Related local arts programs
Greater Western Sydney Aboriginal Dance Ensemble
Compass Music Festival – Coffs Harbour
The NSW Department of Education will present a combined public schools performance at Coffs Harbour High School. The concert will feature a combined secondary choir, primary choir and combined recorder ensemble that will join forces with the Bellingen Youth Orchestra.
NSW PS Recorder Camp
Students from NSW public schools in Year 5 to Year 12 are invited to apply for the Public Schools NSW Recorder Camp. This annual 4-day residential recorder workshop and camp culminates in performances at the Festival of Instrumental Music.