NSW Premier's Spelling Bee
The Premier's Spelling Bee is a fun and educational way for primary school students to engage with and improve their spelling.
The program includes activities that encourage students to become more confident users of language through broadening their vocabulary, and promotes improved literacy skills in conjunction with the NSW English K-10 syllabus.
Participation Certificates will be available for download from this this page soon. Coordinators will be informed when the certificates will be available.
2022 Premier’s Spelling Bee State finals
Congratulations to those many students who competed in our first ever on-line regional finals. 60 students are now invited, along with their families and school representatives, to attend this year’s State Finals in ABC Studios, Ultimo, Friday 4 November 2022 (Term 4 Week 4).
One regional winner from each of the 30 Junior and 30 Senior Regional Finals has been invited to attend the State Final.
The below links are for successful Regional Final students, schools and families to fill in as soon as possible.
1. The below link is for students and families. There are clear instructions on each section to help you fill out the sections, which includes:
- student and family contact details
- A student profile for students to fill out. This becomes part of the final script.
- A State Finals RSVP. All adult guests must be listed for ABC security purposes.
2. The below link is for schools to respond to the invitation to attend State Finals.
Please note, the return date for these forms is no later that Wednesday 5 October, but earlier returns would be appreciated.
The Bee is open to students in NSW Public, Community and Central Schools in two categories.
- Junior Spelling Bee – Years 3 and 4
- Senior Spelling Bee – Years 5 and 6
The 2022 word lists will be available on enrolment, via the confirmation email you will receive. Please read all copyright conditions carefully, so you may distribute the lists according to licence agreements.
If your school was not enrolled last year, please enrol using the above link or email firstname.lastname@example.org
All lists are password protected. The password will be available on school enrolment.
Juniors – Years 3 and 4
- Junior Word list – simple format (PDF, 310.5 KB)
- Junior Word list - annotated format (PDF, 926.6 KB)
Seniors – Years 5 and 6
- Senior Word list – simple format (PDF, 307.19 KB)
- Senior Word list – annotated format (PDF, 776.95 KB)
The NSW Premier’s Spelling Bee 2022 junior and senior word lists are for your personal use only. No part of this word list covered by copyright may be reproduced, copied, shared or made available on the internet, via email, on an intranet, or by any other means without written permission of the publisher. Copyright © Macquarie Dictionary Publishers 2022 | macquariedictionary.com.au
- Opening date for school entries – Wednesday 27 April 2022 (Term 2 Week 1)
- Closing date for school entries – Friday 1 July 2022 (Term 2 Week 10)
- Regional finalist names deadline – Friday 5 August 2022 (Term 3 Week 3)
- Regional finals all on-line – Monday 29 August to Friday 9 September 2022 (Term 3 Weeks 7 and 8)
- State finals – ABC Studios, Ultimo, Friday 4 November 2022 (Term 4 Week 4).
Please note – One Junior and one Senior student represent their school at regional finals. 2022 regional finals will be held using video connections. One senior and one junior speller from each regional will then go onto State finals.
Premier's Spelling Bee poster
Schools can download, print and project the the following 2022 poster for use.
We thank Moulamein Public School and Tarlia McGlashan for permission to use Tarlia’s vibrant 2021 Operation Art entry, 'You are my Sunshine', to use on the 2022 Premier's Spelling Bee poster.
The spelling bee resource page contains a wide variety of resources are available for use in the preparation of students for the Premier's Spelling Bee in 2022.
There are also a range of school resources available to support the organisation of a spelling bee.
- A quick guide to the Premier's Spelling Bee (PDF, 339.14 KB)
- Frequently asked questions
- Procedures for school coordinators
- Elimination sheet template
- Sample school announcers script
- Competition layout sample
Video – How to run a school competition for the Premier's Spelling Bee (Duration 19:04)