NSW Premier's Spelling Bee
The Premier's Spelling Bee is a fun and educational way for primary school students to engage with and improve their spelling.
The program includes activities that encourage students to become more confident users of language through broadening their vocabulary, and promotes improved literacy skills in conjunction with the NSW English K-10 syllabus.
The Premier's Spelling Bee school entry is now open.
To enter complete the online Premier's Spelling Bee entry form.
Entries close Friday 1 July 2022.
The Bee is open to students in NSW Public, Community and Central Schools in two categories.
- Junior Spelling Bee – Years 3 and 4
- Senior Spelling Bee – Years 5 and 6
The 2022 word lists will be available on enrolment, via the confirmation email you will receive. Please read all copyright conditions carefully, so you may distribute the lists according to licence agreements.
If your school was not enrolled last year, please enrol using the above link or email email@example.com
All lists are password protected. The password will be available on school enrolment.
Juniors – Years 3 and 4
- Junior Word list – simple format (PDF, 310.5 KB)
- Junior Word list – annotated format (PDF, 882.35 KB)
Seniors – Years 5 and 6
- Senior Word list – simple format (PDF, 307.19 KB)
- Senior Word list – annotated format (PDF, 907.18 KB)
The NSW Premier’s Spelling Bee 2022 junior and senior sample word list is for your personal use only. No part of this word list covered by copyright may be reproduced, copied, shared or made available on the internet, via email, on an intranet, or by any other means without written permission of the publisher. Copyright © Macquarie Dictionary Publishers 2022 | macquariedictionary.com.au
- Opening date for school entries – Wednesday 27 April 2022 (Term 2 Week 1)
- Closing date for school entries – Friday 1 July 2022 (Term 2 Week 10)
- Regional finalist names deadline – Friday 5 August 2022 (Term 3 Week 3)
- Regional finals all on-line – Monday 29 August to Friday 9 September 2022 (Term 3 Weeks 7 and 8)
- State finals – ABC Studios, Ultimo, November date to be determined.
Please note – One Junior and one Senior student represent their school at regional finals. 2022 regional finals will be held using video connections. One senior and one junior speller from each regional will then go onto State finals.
Premier's Spelling Bee poster
Schools can download, print and project the the following 2022 poster for use.
We thank Moulamein Public School and Tarlia McGlashan for permission to use Tarlia’s vibrant 2021 Operation Art entry, 'You are my Sunshine', to use on the 2022 Premier's Spelling Bee poster.
The spelling bee resource page contains a wide variety of resources are available for use in the preparation of students for the Premier's Spelling Bee in 2022.
There are also a range of school resources available to support the organisation of a spelling bee.
- A quick guide to The Premier's Spelling Bee
- Frequently asked questions
- Procedures for school coordinators
- Elimination sheet template
- Sample school announcers script
- Competition layout sample
Video – How to run a school competition for the Premier's Spelling Bee (Duration 19:04)